Posted by KTravlos on 3 April 2018 with categories: Currently Watching:

For me a mediocre show is one that I can watch and enjoy, but which does not really break new ground in elements of animation, story, or cinematography, or does not “move” me. It does not if you will touch the “higher” emotions and faculties of who I am, but does leave me satisfied at having some fun. This season I followed three mediocre shows. These were B: The Beginning, Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, and Classicaloid Season 2.  Here I will give brief reviews. All these shows score a C on my grading system.

B: The Beginning

The fun part of the show

What it claims to be about: In a fictional contemporary setting , the archipelagic Kingdom of Cremona, there are periodic murder sprees by serial killers. A special force of the Royal Police, together with the genius detective Keith try to solve the secret behind the crimes. At the same time a winged avenger directly interferes in the solution of crimes, engaged in a running battle with secretive group with government ties.  It turns out that Keith and the winged avenger also share a tie, which is part of a wider triangle with Keith’s college friend, and the murder of his sister years ago.

Essentially B: The Beginning tries to tell a series that combines a supernatural  action show, with a police detective story.

What is it really about: Two separate stories badly tied together.  The police detective story is not that bad.  There are attempts at resolving the crimes, and wider mystery behind. They use some of the recent Sherlock series gimmicks to spice things up. In general the characters in the police detective ark, that is the unit of which Keith is part of, are interesting (especially Lily, Kaela, and Erik), have good chemistry, and work well as a group. The supernatural action story is a mess. A already convoluted plotline is made more convoluted for cheap twists. None of the characters in that part are really interesting, and their interactions are boring. Now it is true the action scenes are well done, but again you do not really get the point of why this is part of this anime. Do not get me wrong. The anime tries to tie the two stories together in the face of the big bad. It just does a terrible job at it. The big bad itself is not too bad, but trying to shoehorn the supernatural  into his modus operandi just ruined the potential. Now, there are series that do this well. Full Metal Alchemist is ultimately an action series tied to a  political conspiracy thriller. It works for me. But it did not work here.

Why you should watch it: The detective part of the story is good, and the characters in the investigation unit are great with good chemistry. Animation, music (especially the ending theme song) , character art, and art in general are very good.  It is good enough I am willing to give a sequel a try.

Why is it mediocre: The supernatural action plotline is substandard, with boring characters. The attempt to mesh the two together fails. The ultimate villain is a boring idiot.

Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens

Did we tell you about Hakata’s great baseball?

What it claims to be about: A all-ensemble cast story in the vein of Durarara! and Baccano! Cool characters interacting in a city of crime and mystery! Cool action! Hakata is Cool! Lin, a cross-dressing assassin, teams up with Banba, a private detective, and his cute bunch of frenemies, including a genius hacker, a friendly torturer, a guy who gets paid to do revenge, and others, try to survive in the deadly, sunny, rather clean streets of Hakata,Japan. There is ramen!

What is it really about: An attempt to advertise the city of Hakata. Which is not that remarkable. By presenting it as a place were 1 in 10 people are professional killers. Come see our City! Don’t mind the body! Careful to not die. I have no idea why anybody thought this would be a good way to raise tourist interest about a city. Ah well, the show is not half bad. Essentially you have a bunch of people who are trying to be cool, and are self-conscious about it-so at least you get an answer about why some of the things they do are idiotic, doing cool stuff (at least in their eyes). Most of the cast does not get much development, and some of it really has no real purpose.  The problem here is this. The key to the success of a show like Baccano! was the chemistry of the characters. While not all were equally developed, the plot provide some common development that tied everyone together. Hakta fails at that. Some of the characters get good development (Lin, the hacker guy). Some of them have some good chemistry. But most of them are really just cardboards of “coolness”.  The action and stories are so-so, as the adversaries border on the ridiculous, and our heroes are just so “cool” that one never feels they are in danger. As a result this is not a show of tension. You can enjoy it as a mild entertainment with a nice beer, and then reminisce about how much more fun Baccano! was.

Why you should watch it: It is fun enough, and the some of the main characters interesting enough to provide some mild entertainment. You really want to know a bit about Hakata. The Opening song is not too bad. Animation is serviceable.

Why is it mediocre: Hakata is boring. Most of the characters are boring. The storylines are not really much to write about.  If the goal was to get me to read the light novels it failed miserably.

Classicaloid Season 2

Mozart, Wagner, Beethoven. Luminaries of Classical European Music.

What it claims to be about:  The first season was a show pgsels liked, but the rest of the blog group did not care much about. Since it seemed to be absurdist comedy, and since I like that a bit (Cromartie High FOREVER!), I decided to give it a try. It was fun. The 2nd Season continued the same story. A bunch of artificial humans that have the personalities of great classical conductors live in the same house and interact. The addition of a new character based on Wanger, and his attempts to win acclamation provides the central theme for these seasons, as Bach’s machinations did in the first. All characters come to learn something important, and young Wagner grows up. Or something like that.

What is it really about: Absurdist Comedy in the service of getting you to learn or care more for some of the great composers of the classical European music era. The first and 2nd seasons do not change much in style. Most characters behave the same, and I must confess in the second seasons some of those characters became irritating (Mozart, Sosuke and Schubert mostly). The show is still fun but the Wagner sub-story felt a waste of time. Ultimately this is mindless fun, and sometimes it dragged.

Why you should watch it: It can still get you laughing hard. It did get me to look more into some of the composers. The music is good and sometimes the variations on classics are very interesting. Art is colorful and fun.

Why is it mediocre: No real growth makes many of the characters irritating this seasons. A pointless and boring central plotline.

1. Evaluator says:

I never got over Classicaloid S1 1st ep. But I’ll give it another try in the future. I felt it tried to walk in Gintama’s footsteps, which is a good thing.

B the Beginning is one of those shows, which hurts you to see waste all its absurdly high production values on trying to look cool, mature and important, while accomplishing none of it. Just another myopic Dunning Kruger show that needs a giant mirror. The villain’s speeches were ridiculous and by the last episode headache-inducing (Morikawa Toshiyuki’s voice especially!). I can testify how marathoning this show gives you a massive headache.

Random bits I actually liked:

– Lily’s playful, active and quirky personality and down to earth yet sexy looks. I hate nosy busybody characters, but she almost feels like a real person. ++. I have felt like she jumped out of Taiho Shichau zo (You’re Under Arrest) and impersonated one of its leads (Natsumi Tsujimoto, https://myanimelist.net/character/3727/Natsumi_Tsujimoto/pictures).

-Koshimizu Ami’s performance as the blonde police IT girl (when Keith wrote on the monitor with a marker pen, she screamed “Monitaaa, the monitaaa!!”). Sometimes her beautiful voice doesn’t fit her characters that well (Devilman Crybaby, recently), but here she shows how much she can bring out completely stereotypical and unimportant characters to life!

– Yuna & Koku emotional embrace on the rooftop after their fight, where Yuna remembers their past and softly asks “Kokkuuuuuuu?”. Then that oh-so-evil guy pierces them both with a sword. Even though the flashbacks were too long and convenient, story retarded, characters annoying and flat, the scene still worked incredibly well thx to the music. When Koku transformed in hopeless screams, that really hammered in melodrama. All odds were against this scene working, yet it did. Ultimately, production values alone can save a single moment.

– Keith’s oh-so-dramatic thriller hospital scene – the way the other guy keeps being creepy and nonsensically speaking Keith’s full name again and again is meme-worthy. “Keeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiithuuu!” Hi there. “Keith Flick!” *insert random rambling* “Keeeeeith FLICK!!!” *proceeds to kill himself*

Still a trainwreck.

• KTravlos says:

Yes, the waste of the detective team was really a pity. Still it was a pretty show.

• KTravlos says:

Also yes. Both Lilly and Kaela were very sexy, without making them ridiculous. Also it was cool how self-assured Kaela was when she worked. I really liked the scene were she brings the blue-prints up. Both Keith and Erik are continuously asking for more information. I would probably had snapped at them. But Kaela was cool. I want more Kaela and Erik and Keith and Lilly and Boris and irrelevant guy with hair and Brandon. But it seems we will get more flying circus people in a potential sequel. Arrghhhh!

I did like the Izanami (skateboard person) vs. Koku fight. I felt that they wasted the potential of that interaction.

• Evaluator says:

Yeah Kaela was cool. Hah at irrelevant guy and flying circus people. I hate sequels to bad series I have finished.

I agree the Izanami part had some potential, I was being constantly reminded of Zankyou no Terror. Five and Izanami were very similar in design, personality, motivation, backstory and she was also receiving some high budget cuts that were for naught…

2. Bokusen says:

Guess I’m the only one who really liked Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, huh? It and CCS are the only series I really enjoyed last season.

Yes, that bit about him liking Hakata during the last episode was cheesy, but overall Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens was what I wanted Durarara to be: An eccentric romp showcasing a Japanese town and the people who live there which doesn’t forget to be fun.

I loved an early episode of Durarara where Celty writes a message at the end, but no other episodes lived up to that one & I ended up dropping the series for good at the conclusion of the sequel.
    Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens is like the Durarara I never got, so I’m happy it exists.^-^

• KTravlos says:

I would not say I did not like it. And to be frank I should not had put the Durara! mention there since I did not watch it. But compared to Baccano! which I watched, I found it lacking. You are right that ultimately it was “An eccentric romp showcasing a Japanese town and the people who live there which doesn’t forget to be fun.”. I just found that it did not really get my pumped either for Hakata, or the majority of the cast. Again not a bad show. And an easy one to marathon. But simply mediocre.

• Bokusen says:

Ah, interesting…It’s possible that I rate it higher because the Antarctica series and Violet Evergarden were so disappointing to me, and with so much forced melodrama in those two series I’m apt to rate a series that just makes me have fun higher than I might have in another season. Still, it earns a solid B from me, and while Baccano is a technically more proficient series in every way, it wasn’t as fun to watch as Ramens was for me. Isaac and Miria were fun to watch, but they were also kind of dumb as rocks and I couldn’t really root for them. Most of the rest of the cast were sociopaths from what I remember, and while that’s good for shock value at first, it wore off and I actually was like “Not *another* darn sociopath scene!” during the ova.
        That said, likes and dislikes are subjective. It’s possible that the bad experience of watching Durarara soured me even more on Baccano.
        Looking forward to the next season!

3. Vonter says:

To me Mahoutsukai, was mediocre, in the sense that it was just ok. It had the elements and production values to be much more. But it lacked a better delivery, focus on the main plot and maybe having less episodes given the material didn’t feel well spent passing the midpoint.

The second season of Overlord felt like an intermission season. The main character barely moves the plot forward, and most of it is establishing the world, the factions and developing the side characters that didn’t appeared as much in the first season.

In here I’ve followed other middle of the road shows. Scum’s Wish had a great vibe of the darker aspects of romance and unrequited love. Yet it felt the story put the main characters to the side and I’ve forgot what happened by the end, since I feel it didn’t close strongly.

Magical Girl Raising Project, is a soulless story that can be entertaining if watched with cynic lens. Characters barely develop and some develop just as they’re dying. The ending puts in a another perspective the meme of “Luigi wins by doing nothing.” Good premise but botched execution.

I haven’t finished Kabaneri in the Iron Fortress, since despite liking it, the “main villain” sucked out all the immersion I had in the show. It almost felt like self sabotage, since they had something with the super zombies and monsters, but had to also check that conspiracy box from Attack on Titan. Which also put me off that show and manga.

• Evaluator says:

I have only seen few episodes of Mahoutsukai and I didn’t like it at all, unlike its 3ep OVA prequel (Hoshi Matsu Hito), although now that I think about it, that one was a little vacuous as well. I still recommend it for its depiction of alienation and terror of the unknown.

Agree on Overlord. I think it does everything at least as well as S1, except the main characters are not there! I guess there’s gonna be S3 anyway, so this is better anyway. I’m enjoying weekly dose of Solution, Sebastian and lizzard sex.

Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku was Precure on Valvrave. Nothing wrong with that, unless you know what you are watching (not Madoka). Sometimes these series do not understand it themselves (Cross Ange) and become a Legend Of Terrible, but those that do belong in Trainwreck Hall of Fame, which is a worthy title to be proud of. Id say Raising Project sits somewhere in the middle of the two, like Mayoiga.

Fixed
@Kaiser: I posted using my phone so that was the best I could do
I want to state, regarding banana fish, for those avoiding it because of shounen-ai vibes or because its aimed at women, even though its listed as shoujo, its really the female equivalent to a seinen manga, it also created, even in Japan a massive crossover audience that also included heterosexual males.
Whew lad, might want to center/neat-en up the screenshot on the latest post =<
See lenlo, while I love the adaptation, I'm still worried about the updated setting.
The manga had something about American foreign policy and the Mafia boss having to do with anti-communism, I wonder will the anime commit to that.
So far, Banana Fish is ony of my favorites. Im gonna make it very clear why tomorrow when I post on it, but boy I wasnt expecting it to commit so fully.
Okay, my ranking so far of the premieres: -Angels of death
-Happy sugar life
-Banana fish
-Grand blue
Shichisei and planet with are dropped, will only watch sirius until I get bored. Don't like shounen action so I'm not continuing Angolmeh.
I know he's a good writer, hence I was looking forward to Dog eat dog. That film made me think he passed his prime
@Mario: Raging bull and mishima also he wrote those.
@Mario: Nicholas Cage is awful and so was Dog eat dog I can agree to that.
@Mario: Its alot better than that I can tell you. Also he wrote the affliction, taxi driver and hardcore, all great films.
@Kaiser: you mean First Reformed? I watched Schraders' previous work Dog Eat Dog and absolutely hated it. Hated it with a passion
@Kaiser: I don't even know that until you pointed out
*movie blog
@Mario: How amusing, you uses "red blood moon" on your movie blood as a section for bad anime, and have the AKA abbreviation right next to it and that has the same spelling as the Japanese word for Red.
@Mario: I've got a feeling you might be a fan of Paul Schraders new film, its a mashup of Ordet, Winter light, diary of a country priest and Taxi driver. It is speechy, but it has alot to say and Ethan Hawke is great in it.
I don't think i'd be able to stop myself pulling an animal ears girl's ears if they were real. I'd have to know.
@Mario: I think I needed to watch it, just so I could have the feeling of getting away from the world while not needing to think.
@Kaiser: that's basically the appeal of Cgdct shows. They're hardy deep or even have that much conflict, but they're adorable and fluffy. Good enough for me ^^
The filter/visual style angolmis was going for initially completely took my concentration away from the show.
SuperWooper
(which includes a review of the inevitable AOTS) :^)
SuperWooper
Only one more First Impressions post to go.
Grand blue is funny but like with wotaku I'm not sure there'll be an incentive to watch every episode.
@Mario: Maybe every season or so I will try to fit in a cute girls doing cute things show. I watched Konohana Kitan yesterday and while hardly essential, it was actually sort of adorable.
A bit new info about the next When they Cry. Guess the release date will be the winter comiket. Really wonder how it will be, I have to admit I enjoyed the endless arguments in the Umineko VN a lot. Also it seems it will get the same music composers again.
@Anon, That airs on July 22.
were is attack on titan 3???
I'll still write a post once the first impressions' over, along with my general thoughts on this season.
Meanwhile, we already decided which shows to blog for this season. The coverage is as follows:
Aidan: Grand Blue, Planet With, Satsuriku no Tenshi
Mario: Chio-chan, Shoujo Kageki, Hanebado
Lenlo: Steins;Gate 0, Banana Fish
Just an update to you, dear readers. We're working on finishing these 1st impressions posts and try to finish it in few days time (3 more posts).
*Harry not Eddie
**Gundam F91
Have the blurays of 08th ms team downloading now to re-watch. Never seen Gundam F91 one . Really looking forward to the final origin ova and whenever more of Thunderbolt is coming out.
Eddie was a bit crap though, especially when you stand him up against other Char-esque characters and some of the other characters aren't quite as compelling. Loved the old American style setting though, crazypants main baddy was fun.
I finally finished/rewatched Turn A Gundam lately. It delivers strongly on its spectacle Heim and Soleil were great and my favourite gundam girls , the artstyle grows on you and because of that art style, it gets away with being one of the weirder phase gundamns, where G Gundam wasn't so lucky in that regard.
Highscore Girl is way more annoying than I exptected it to be.
Haven't played it (yet) but AFAIK they stay there and only move from floor to floor, I guess it's why they shortly mentioned these murders on the different floors.
Does the entirety of satsuriku no tenshi stay in the building? I could seen the sense of claustropohbia for the audience disappearing if they left it.
Looking back on that comment, I should say, I have not read grand blues manga, so its entirely possible why the animes presentation made me laugh a bit because I've no comparison.
Also, that blonde muscular guy in Grand blue made me laugh.
I like how we have very little idea of the buildings layout in satsuriku no tenshi.
Not really looking forward to Gridman as I see the typical warning signs I noticed for Kiznaiver and Franxx as well here. The only positive thing is that the series seems to have an actual villain for once. The lack of that was one of the problems that bothered me with Franxx (not counting literal faceless aliens as "actual villain").
I hope next actual Imaishi anime will be a good Trigger again. Honestly didn't really like any of their series done by other directors, Promare would be the first series done by the TTGL team again after KlK and Luluco. My only fear is that it might be a TTGL clone but it's too early to for that.
I am gunning for Kyohime Lancer and Mordred Rider. Thankfully I don't really care about the five starts so my odds are not quite as bad.
@Aidan: Yes I am happy I got her with just one ticket since I am saving for the upcoming rate ups as well, especially Summer. Hell I need Martha.
@Amagi, Had a few moments like that which were not related to Fate go. Anyhoo I didn't bother rolling Da Vinchi as I got no real interest in him/her(Hard to decide when their reason for genderbending has more to do with beauty rather than gender.) Instead saving my Quartz for either the summer servants for the Knights of the round.
Not lying but I had I dream yesterday about getting FGO's Da Vinci with one ticket, woke up, spent one ticket and got her (Yes. "Her"). I am so far into that anime stuff guess I am now developing esp powers just for that.
Finally new Sirius subs I hope they are tolerable.
Chio-chan is relatable
She's one of the actress I'm really fond of. But of course given how big a status she is
@Mario: If voices could be married I'd marry hers =P
Other 2 shows are Cells at Work and Phantom in the Twilight
Kana Hanazawa's extremely busy this season. She's also voicing for 2 other shows. Give me a minute so I can check up these other shows
The most recent I've heard Kana Hanazawa's voice was in 3-gatsu no lion where she voiced Hina, hearing her voice psychochick from happy sugar life makes it all the eerier =P Also watching this feels like less of a slog than reading the early chapters.
Scanners/photocopier machines however are the greater satan.
What kind of cosmic rule forbids printers to ever work properly?
I've heard that satsuriku no tenshi's manga adaptation apparently is paced better and more effective at immersing the reader.
I think my time with shichisei subaru stops here, the cliffhangers just feel liked bad bait and while I hate jumping to buzzwords, this was just really generic and hamfisted. Its like I'm watching a crap adaptation of a bad moe datesim visual novel.
Yeah this is also a pretty stilted translation.
I ended up watching it with mediocre subtitles also.
Wait is Sirius subbed? Nonmeme subs I mean.
Banana fish succeeds in making itself work as an action series all the more stronger, because it allows itself to have a good emotional backing. I'd forgotten how much of prick that one cop was in that scene in the manga.
If you want a reasonably quick boredom killer thats gorier than some modern anime allows you could probably do worse than Sirius.
Okay, regarding Happy sugar lifes manga, Late volume 6-volume 8, we're kind of getting somewhere, especially with one particular flashback relating to Shio.
I too am not even impervious to cute and huggable things.
*mikocchi
@Mario: I do plan on watch sorayori, konohana kitan and hakumei no mocchi someday.
*Asobi Asobase
So far, I enjoy Asobi Asobasa and Chio-chan so much that I watched them twice. Guess I do have a thing for cute girls comedy shows after all
Hataraku Saibou, wouldn't be the first edutainment thing in anime , kemono souja and Moyashimon aswell.
Nope, not this week. One week hold since we are sorta between/starting a new season
No steins gate episode this week?
Hue hue, seems like around time of first impressions I don't need to do my usual isekai complaining because it gets done by someone else instead :D
Someone ha uploaded 7 volumes of angels of deaths manga adaptation.
I liked the first episode but no idea what kind of story it will have
@Mario: Should have watched the pianist, the piano or the piano teacher instead =P
Piano no Mori is a huge disappointment for me. still haven't watched the last episode thou
I've been backlogging Piano no mori for years.
damn I totally forgot this exists
That Piano no Mori ending episode... oh boy!!!
But you can probably just take my thoughts on planet with as being symptomatic of how shounen battlely stories almost never work for me.
Planet withs first episode felt disorganized to me and I didn't like the main characters.
See, I think the problem regards planet with for me is that I watched it too close to the flcls ending, I know why its being compared but in flcl the disjointedness/messiness feels like something I can just let wash over me.
@Mario: As I said it was a good premier, that despite my positivity I need more before I can see if it keeps up (angels of death).
Man Hanebado looks really great animationwise. Now moving to the two comedies I expect to be above average. Get me another 1-2 good upcoming series and I can accept this season
Banana Fish is just above everything else so far
I'm not too sold on Angels of Death. You can read my feeling about it when the next post's out.
Angels of Death and Banana Fish are clearly my favorites so far too. Planet With's last scene was interesting but I can already guess it won't have much of an impact on the progression of the story and the MCs are pretty annoying.
So far for me its Angels of death and Bananna fish , considering giving shichisei the 3 episode rule, instant drop for planet with.
Yeah, planet with, again, this is far from something I'm capable of sitting through a single episode of.
But I wonder if it can keep things up.
Oh God how to I save little blonde girl in it =<
I suppose it does rely on convenience a bit regarding that doctor guy and the protaganist going off with him, but we aren't supposed to talk about character decisions in horror.
Although its only the first episode of satsuriku, I did enjoy the tone it was going for and think its just about achieved merging semi-creepiness with camp without too much of a clash, while still remaining fun, the lack of words words words exposition also helped make it intriguing.
Flcl, in your insanity you invoke my empathy with your sheer overflow of crazy.
The reason I mainly thought to bring up the rpgmaker though, was due to browsing youtube last night and finding out someone remastered the whole soundtrack.
I forgot to mention that Mugen fighter game engine thing, the videos for that were fun, people doing sprites of basically ANYONE and putting them into a 2D fighting game scenario, for a teenager at the time I discovered it, it fufilled any weird versus fantasy I had.
I remember it was possible to edit other peoples games after downloading them, and if you played in design mode you could use a pass through walls cheat by holding shift I think.
Yume nikki would be very dependent on making its atmosphere work in an adaptation.
@Kaiser: Actually yes. You game may be "silly" but at least it sounds fun. Most anime aren't really trying, just shouting and repeating the joke won't make it funnier and I doubt anyone died of laughter because of some collision of MC face and random boobs.
I hope the adaption of Tenshi means that there are chances for other good rpgm games like those Aidan mentioned (I think it was Aidan). Although Yume Nikki could be hard to animate, depends on the director and budget. Guess IB would be easier.
Ha, those crappy rpg maker games we made on the fly were at least better than Shichisei no Subaru amirite =P
For the longest time I had an old floppy disk of that silly game I worked on, it kind of got known in my school and I lent it to some guy who I don't even remember who he was, never got it back.
I think I'll at least check out this rpg maker game anime adaptation this season for the novelty of an anime being based on an rpgmaker game.
I also remember trying to get my brother to use that Click and create program thing to make sonic and Mario fangames. Actually I remember there was a site dedicated to Sonic gamesfactory rip off games. While it was rare, I did see attempts people made trying to make 2D platformers in rpgmaker 2003, terrible idea though as it never really worked.
Speaking of it, I actually enjoyed Cthulhu saves the World. Guess that's somewhat the type of game I mean.
lol same here. Stupid story for fun and those horrible converted music files that turned a little game into a 500mb monster. It was a lot of fun though, too bad these rpgm games are too common now, I would probably never play them anymore unless they are really something different. Wish more people would do such joke games.
I probably wrote awful fanfiction at that age also.
Actually I believe the junkie character was some kind of ninja....
I remember never wanting to use the default music for it and instead threw in whatever my favourite videogame tunes were, and they had to be mp3s, which the program wouldn't allow you to use. This led to converting them into large midi files which ended up making the loading times run like shit.
Oh, graphically we had no clue what we were doing, terrible sprite edits in ms paint.
I don't think there was even a proper overworld either, it had to be unlocked.
I wrote this when I was 12, which explains how dumb it is.
Some stupid side plot about a wannabe fascist flying around in an airship who couldn't speak coherently aswell. At one point the characters ended up in Moscow to take on the communists and stop the missile launch. There was a awful side quest involving a pope like character/terrorist too. Last, unlockable boss was some rich guy never mentioned once during the game.
The things I came up with though were the result of a bunch of kids trying to make a game though. Something about a group of friends who were amateur gangsters, all of them hated each other, lots of awful puns and a plot about the games creators trying to screw over the characters. Something about Neo-communists kidnapping their drug addict friend and trying to raise funds for a missile strike.
I remember using facesets would cut off text in the text boxes too aswell , actually I remember giving up on them and in one of the games I scripted, only allowing a one off character to have one and that became used as a joke.
In the end it was the chipsets that made me lose my patience. My game was scifi taking place in the real world and all existing chipsets were fantasy-middle ages so you always have to draw ever single background and item yourself.
Yeah I drew/animated everything myself as well which is why I was so damn slow. The normal sprites aren't a problem, problematic are the chipsets and battle sprites, especially when you create your own attacks. Maybe the VN-faces too because I thought I could go with three per character, but it amounted to many more in the end to convey the different emotions.
While again the name escapes me, I can remember someone did a date sim/rpg hyrbrid in rpg maker 2003, as I recall they completely drew everything themselves for it.
And looking back, the games my brother , I and my friends made in it, weren't really much in the way of games as the battles/leveling up/exploration aspect were never important, it was always just a vehicle to go from one silly joke scenario to another.
I can remember being especially overly into using it aswell when I was around 12, I had whole word documents of scripts and notes, down to what face sets and music to use, before the games even got made.
@Kaiser-Eoghan: Don't remind me, I spend 1 1/2 years of my life with doing my rpg maker game, I already had ~5h playing time in the end but the game wasn't nearly finished. Good times though, always worked on this as soon as I came home and was even motivated enough to jump out ot the bed at 6am on weekends
@Aidan: So far I never spend any money but I think I will do the paid gacha this time. Kinda scared of getting my fourth Arthuria or second Nightingale/Vlad depending on which gacha I will do.
Ya know, the "anime industry produces too much anime" thing has to be true when every webnovel is getting anime and they are still running out of them to the point they are making rpg maker game adaptions xP
*gamefactory
@Aidan: Do you remember other gamemaker things like klickcreate and gamefactor and Mugen?
@Aidan: As in my friends and i would make games in it.
@Aidan: I noticed one of the anime this season was based on an rpg maker game, I remember messing around with that back in 2003 with my brother. I don't know what mad father is, but yume nikki and ib have manga adaptations and I think there's a novelized version of yume nikki also. There was a silent hill and final fantasy knockoff I remember but I can't recall the names of those rpg maker games.
Huh. Planet With seems pretty interesting
Damn, Got NP3 Mordred and NP4 Atlanta in the Guaranteed Gacha. Could be worse but I was hoping for someone new at least.
....but I tought it was pretty forgettable =P
There was even an anime from a few years back called amnesia aswell.
Just half of this new season alone there has been 3, 4 cases of amnesia already. Duh
Again we have another character who suffered amnesia. Why Japan? Why anime?
On banana fish, refreshing seeing darker skinned character designs in an anime series even if its just background characters.
Not talking about the upcoming series and I haven't seen Tenshi yet, in the end I will probably watch 5+ series again but so far the season is clearly weaker than the one before. Also, there is ANOTHER isekai airing today that makes..6?
Banana Fish is the best current season anime so far. Aside from that I will just watch Tonegawa because the manga is pretty good (although I, like many others, think that the narrator VA was a big mistake)
I think one of the many problems most game-isekai have is that they always feel like the author never played a game in their life. I don't see the point choosing a game as setting if nothing is following any game rules.
Now it will be key that the final arc and ending remain true to the manga or I will be displeased.
Banana fish's modernization isn't as problematic as I'd though based on its first episode, yes the pace is sped up but the manga much as I liked it, didn't have very good pacing at times. The two setpieces match with the tension the original mangaka showed in the manga. Lol at that guys wacky hair style though.
Yeah Shichisei was... interesting. Really im not having to much fun this season. Its just not as good as last
Its a problem though, when I watch the show, as a non-gamer and notice its a problem.
“Learn how to goddamn write you stupid ass HACK!”......

......Or was that DOThack
Why why do so many shows use dutch angles for the sake of it. I hate this as a former film student.
@Aidan: I never felt like the show even introduced itself properly.
@Mario: In all fairness, there is the 4 episode rule.
As I said in my 1st impression, I actually quite enjoyed the drama in Shichisei. Now come fight me guys!
I've likely gone and shatted on this show in more words than Aidan and the others will bother, but feel free to repeat what I say .

Satsuriku no Tenshi – 02[Your grave is not here]

This is a very strange show. I may regret choosing to blog this but with the second episode I still find it quite fascinating and I really want to see just where this leads. I will however say that it isn’t because of excellence that this show has caught my attention for at the moment […]

Darling in the Franxx – 24[Never Let Me Go]

And it’s time for Darling in the sorry I just can’t bring myself to care anymore Franxx. Well once again my previous assertions of what this episode was to be turned out half true and half false. For one they actually did show the final confrontation against VIRM and it was just as disappointing as […]

Hisone to Masotan – 12 [We Are Unstoppable]

And we come to a close of this Dragon Pilot show and I’m still indifferent on how this anime wraps up. It’s not a bad ending per se, it has a good emotional payoff and it does somewhat wrap up the story. The more it gets into the conclusion, however,  the more I see inconsistencies […]

Darling in the Franxx – 23[DARLING in the FRANXX]

The longer this series goes on, the faster my goodwill disappears as this episode was terrible on many fronts. At this point I think we can admit that this series has been on a downward spiral since episode 19 and has only worsened with each subsequent episode. Part of the problem was 19 spilling all […]

Full Metal Panic Invisible Victory – 10[Onward, Onward]

Oh no. Well I suppose this was coming with all the news of this series troubles but it is disheartening to see it come to worst case scenario with the quality of this episode. This is the episode that announces without a doubt that this team is at the breaking point. Characters go off model […]

Megalo Box – 13 [Born to Die]

Its finally here, the finale of Megalo Box. And what a finale it was. Lets just get right into it. Cutting right to the chase, I think Megalo Box was golden until the last 6 minutes. Everything was going great, I had no complaints, and then… Megalo Box anti-climaxed itself. The final 6 minutes simply […]

Steins;Gate 0 – 12 [Mother Goose of Mutual Recursion -Recursive Mother Goose-]

Hello everyone and welcome to the midpoint of the season! This week we have the weirdest game of anime telephone I have ever seen. Lets jump in! So first off, the big thing, Steins;Gate 0 this week is a B-plot. A side-story almost irrelevant to the main story. Its cute, its fluffy, it gets a […]

Legends of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These – 8-12

Well this is rather embarrassing. Believe me when I say I fully intended to cover every episode of this series but life finds a way of ruining your plans. So rather than waste a post just talking about what happened in these past four episodes, I would think it better to just give my thoughts […]

Golden Kamuy – 12 [Trickster Fox]

Before I start, I just want to bring up the news that indeed, Golden Kamuy will have second cour, airing in this Fall season. For now I can’t say for sure if I’m up to cover the second cour, it’ll have to depend on the crop of Fall season. As a result, this final episode […]

Hisone to Masotan (2018 Spring) Review – 73/100

Coming off as one of my most anticipated anime out of this last Spring Season, based solely on staffs involved alone – after all, an original anime written by Mari Okada and produced by Bones (which I regarded as one of the best anime studio working right now) – I can’t help but feel let […]

Megalo Box – 86/100

Ah boxing, the quintessential manly man sport of beating each other unconscious. In anime, the sport was first forged in the fires of Ashita no Joe, and some would say later perfected by Hajime no Ippo. Both fantastic series in their own right. Both filled to the brim with epic clashes of wills, phenomenal characters and […]

Legends of the Galactic Heroes Die Neue These Anime Review – 80/100

This is a remake of a series made way back when which is one of the most highly acclaimed anime in the medium. It is of legendary status but you would be hard pressed to recommend it as to many the barrier of entry is too high to consider. A 110 episode OVA with dated […]

Hinamatsuri (2018 Spring) Review – 79/100

Comedy anime doesn’t always yell out confidence, so imagine our hype when there’s one that been on everyone’s lips since the manga come out, Hinamatsuri. The show starts with simple premise: a girl with supernatural power unexpectedly drops into the house of a yakuza, hilarity ensues. This concept sums up very well the source humors […]

Fate/Stay Night Heaven’s Feel – I Prestige Flower Anime Review – 90/100

We have seen an influx of Fate adaptations over the last year and sadly each has proven to be disappointing except for a cooking slice of life short series which is weirdly better than it has any right to be. This movie was the last of the Fate adaptations that I needed to see but […]

Violet Evergarden (2018 Winter) Review – 76/100

Violet Evergarden’s existence has surely been a public one. Acclaimed before everyone lick a taste of it (it was awarded for grand prize in the fifth Kyoto Animation Award’s novel category in 2014 – read, KyoAni awards), it goes without saying that Violet Evergarden is one of the most anticipated show of the sparse Winter […]

A Place Further than the Universe (Winter 2018) Review – 77/100

Cute girls doing cute things is a genre that been done to death at this point. Even within this Winter 2018 we had been overloaded with big eyes fluffy face girls doing a lot of different things of interest. It takes a standout concept or a deeper narrative to make one stand out from this […]

After the Rain (2018 Winter) Review – 89/100

I suppose that most of us, even the perministic ones, enter After the Rain (Ameagari) with some reservations. After all, the premise about a crush from an 18-year-old girl to the store manager who is nearly 30 years senior raises a lot of red flags here. Yet the show handles this tricky premise with deep […]

Kokkoku – 42.5/100

There are lots of bad anime out there, for one reason or another. Whether it be stilted animation, terrible writing or bad direction, a good portion of each season is simply not worth it. Kokkoku is not a bad anime. It is something much worse. Kokkoku is a mediocre anime. Bad ones get talked about, […]