Posted by AidanAK47 on 28 August 2018 with categories: Currently Watching:, Planet With

Why is it that no one is watching this show, as it is legitimately great. Looking online it’s sad to see that this show has pretty much no hype around it whatsoever. Those that stuck with it look to be pleasantly surprised but it seems that many got turned off by it’s first episode. It’s a shame truly as this show really has come into its own. It could be that Satoshi’s nature of making use of tropes and subverting them is working against him as viewer deem him as unoriginal before he managed to go against expectation. Take for example this episode where it has Souya refusing to fight the Sealing faction because his revenge is essentially complete now that the dragons power has been collected. Souya has no real reason to fight anymore and points out that everything he ever knew or loved is gone. Sure he has new friends on earth but the fact of the matter is that he truly lost everything before coming to earth. Any other anime the characters would start kicking the kid when he’s down and telling him to man up and fight the alien. Even in Evangelion they go out of their way to berate Shinji for not wanting to pilot a robot. Here it looks like they are heading in the same direction with even a member of the sealing faction questioning just why he isn’t fighting. But here one of the former paladins releases that Souya is just a kid and takes up the responsibility to fight the battle. Regardless it looks like Souya is going to get dragged into the battle no matter what as the paradise race tell him that the dragon is coming back at the dark side of the moon.

Benika got some development this week as she relates the story of a detective she used to admire who was killed by a kid with a gun. Making the reason why she joined the sealing faction being that she doesn’t trust humanity with power and believe that they will lose control like that kid who got his hands on a gun. What’s more it looks like the detective is the brother of Yousuke who likes Benika but looks like he feels he can’t measure up to the memory of his brother. on that if I am not mistaken it Benika looks to have feelings for Hideo and may have subconsciously wanted him to defeat her. Oh and great callback to him being the strongest of the paladins and having him defeat her. I thought that with the first half over and the paladins defeated that the op would need to be updated but they are gearing up to play a role in the second half of the series too. Comedy was on point here too with Souya seeing through Shiraishi’s illusion and having a mental crysis over whether real or illusionary boobs are better when she pressed up against him. Again, it starts as a common trope but then twists it in such an interesting way. Not to mention that cheeky little ghost in the shell reference at the beginning.

Overall I like that the paladins are coming back into the story as new warriors to fight the sealing faction and Souya’s growing psychic powers. Little disappointed that Nozomi didn’t take up the position of protecting the town but there does seem to be hints of her taking a more active role besides romantic interest. The comedy still makes things quite fun with even the antagonists lightening up like Shiraishi buting green with envy over Souya and Nozomi’s date. Benika looks like she’s out of the sealing faction so I wonder just what she will do now after being defeated. Well who knows what could happen in the best show that no one is watching.

1. Evaluation says:

“why noone hypes this?”
    Perhaps because it isnt that good, in fact it’s not good at all – is the personal conclusion I reached after marathoning the first 7 episodes.

This is the Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku of the TTGL. Except way worse.

This series does not bother to establish anything, it just does whatever it wants. Randomly from top of my head:
    – Flying teddybears. Begone! If you dont know how to Rahxephon, then dont Rahxephon! Do you even Rahxephon? Jesus, what has anime come to… Rahxephon is crying.
    – MC fights in a robot before we (and him) even know why. He literally ‘awakens’ in the 1st episode, spouting nonsense like ‘I’m gonna kill you all’. Who cares about logic, amnesia, being eaten by an alien cat, humanity being threatened, lets just fight because it is cool.
    – He fights for revenge before we (and him) even know why. Again, logic doesn’t matter, after we kill everyone then we can look for logic in our actions. And they promised us meat for dinner, so its ok.
    – The moment we find out MC’s revenge, his motives, his humanity, he gets “he is not human” treatment. Rly?
    – The superhero squad disbanded before any of its cast did anything meaningful. Just bunch of idiots. How the F did any of these guys get to be in the squad? Why? They have no motive, no personality, no nothing. Just annoying props with traits like ‘dramatic poses’, ‘senile old man’ and ‘im gonna be firefighter one day’.
    – superheros just give up their power because, who knows who this weird guy that wants to kill us is, we better give him the only power we have and hope he will miraculously make everything awesome. Srsly?
    – the superhero leader’s secretary is the big bad?
    – the superhero leader is another big bad?
    – city gets bombed, then we get told its alright everyone evacuated. When? Why? Wtf?
    – We get universe scale war before any human character matters at all
    – the fights are ugly and boring
    – all these ‘factions’ and crap I dont care about. Just make up your mind and show us a grounded characters with motives, dealing with their circumstances. Why do I need to watch this random twist-o-pera where nothing matters, but how smart the show thinks it can pull the rug from under my feet?
    – literally everything is like this

Its utterly random, inconceivable stuff. I’m sorry to be harsh, but this has gotta be one of the most incomprehensible things I’ve ever seen. I swear I have found something worse than Sword Arts Online.

Sorry I’m so grumpy. I have just rewatched Gankutsuou, GTO and Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou. I guess its a little too soon for me to go back to 2018.

• AidanAK47 AidanAK47 says:

I’m…yeah this does feel like a kneejerk response to me. I would say either your mood got in the way of paying attention or you just were not interested in the series from the outset. I mean “This is the Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku of the TTGL” come on, thats pure hyperbole right there.

Let’s see if I can pick up the legitimate critism here:

“MC fights in a robot before we (and him) even know why. He literally ‘awakens’ in the 1st episode, spouting nonsense like ‘I’m gonna kill you all’. Who cares about logic, amnesia, being eaten by an alien cat, humanity being threatened, lets just fight because it is cool.”

Generally a good rule of thumb is to not explain everything in the first episode. After that it does a good job of establishing who they are and why they are fighting.

“He fights for revenge before we (and him) even know why. Again, logic doesn’t matter, after we kill everyone then we can look for logic in our actions. And they promised us meat for dinner, so its ok”

He only had amnesia up until the end of episode 1, once he saw that the heroes were using the dragon to fight it snapped him out of it. And they did establish that they were not out to kill anyone.

“superheros just give up their power because, who knows who this weird guy that wants to kill us is, we better give him the only power we have and hope he will miraculously make everything awesome. Srsly?”

Benita gave up her power because she couldn’t argee with the leaders motives. The other dude gave it up because he wasn’t interested in fighting in the first place. He was just looking out for the others. These things would have been taken from them regardless of their willingness to part with it.

” the superhero leader’s secretary is the big bad?”

Well yep, part of the sealing faction mentioned in episode 2 and responsible for the weird alien creatures.

“the superhero leader is another big bad?”

Sorry what? The only leader we know of the main trio is the big cat. The dog is the sealing faction leader and we don’t know who the people of paradise are yet.

” city gets bombed, then we get told its alright everyone evacuated. When? Why? Wtf?”

Literally explained in the next sentence. It was evacuated because the giant cat spaceship landed in the hillside nearby and nobody knew what the hell it would do.

” We get universe scale war before any human character matters at all”

No we don’t. It just turned from three factions fighting each other to two.

“the fights are ugly and boring”

Yeah the CGI is terrible.

“all these ‘factions’ and crap I dont care about.”

“Just make up your mind and show us a grounded characters with motives, dealing with their circumstances.”

They do show that.

“I’m sorry to be harsh, but this has gotta be one of the most incomprehensible things I’ve ever seen.”

Anything is incomprehensible if you don’t care enough to pay attention.

• Evaluation says:

Ah, I didn’t expect a full response. The comment section was empty so I thought Id try to put my thoughts together.

I did just drop the show (ep 7), so you are right – I do not care. For the record: I actually liked Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku and didn’t mean it as a derogatory analogy. It turned an (unnecessary) cutesy spin on Madoka, something Planet With is doing to TTGL and I found it interesting enough to point out.

As for your points:

I was talking about disbelief inducing action of the protagonist, who does not question any of his circumstances and becomes an antagonist for no reason, before he ‘awakens’ and acts out of revenge. What happened to casuality? And afaik he only realized he wants revenge, not the why (right?), i.e., still has no idea about anything, yet acting like he does..

“Generally a good rule of thumb is to not explain everything in the first episode”
        Generally, amnesia implies fan-fic lvl of writing, convenient devices and poorly articulated points. I always chuckle when I remind myself how Shinji in Rebuilds didn’t forget about his mom – they erased his memories! Blasphemy. I guess (they think) the consumer today views erasing memories more plausible than not remembering something from when you were 3 years old. So lets throw amnesia in whenever we need. I digress.

Why would you be a superhero if you then gave up your power?
        How did these people get to be there with their attitudes?
        Why would she give up her power because she didn’t want any part in world domination?
        Doesn’t it mean she had no idea what her squad was fighting for the whole time (a little late to start acting smart)?
        Is giving her power to world dominator the best idea?
        Why not hide it or break it?
        Why come to him and tell him and risk he will kill you?
        Where’s her responsibility, how can she just leave (him do whatever) when she knows what he is up to.

“the superhero leader is another big bad?”
        The superhero leader was some OP dude doing world domination stuff. Big bad. Then his secretary is even bigger bad. How many big bads are there gonna be in single oranization?

… city gets bombed… “Literally explained in the next sentence.”: Well, after that fact. Cheap trick to make the fight/explosion seem to have consequence and weight. You really buy this?

“Yeah the CGI is terrible.” It’s not the end of the world, but it does suck. What’s worse is that the fights/action/mechs are uninspiring.

show us a grounded characters… “They do show that”
        Are you referring to the superfluous, convenient and almost obligatory short ‘psychological warfare’ segments, where the superheroes overcome (or not) their traumas?

“You mean the crap that is a main part of the plot and answers the questions you deem the series isn’t answering?”
        Hm. Let’s look at it this way: I view the answers unsatisfactory, which is why I can not take even the questions seriously, because they expect me to be sold on the answers from before. So it comes down to suspension of disbelief. Which is sad, since its like this ultimate argument nobody can go up against.

“Anything is incomprehensible if you don’t care enough to pay attention.”

Yes. And I admit I stopped paying attention on 3rd or so episode, because I’m arguing it wasn’t making any sense from the very beginning.

Is this really a terrible series?
        No. But…

Is this an undeappreciated series?
        Maybe. We do have cancer lvl series rated higher than the current 6.9 MAL score. Absolute score doesn’t really matter (depends on the scoring system) but relatively, let’s see: overall, I’d put it slightly below ReCreators.

Is this a hidden gem?
        In my opinion, definitely not. I stand by my opinion, that this series is poorly articulated mess with convoluted world mechanics, senseless action, cheap drama and anticlimactic twists.

2. “Why is it that no one is watching this show, as it is legitimately great.”

Which is exactly why I _am_ watching it! :)

It’s one of the most exciting series I’ve seen for awhile. It’s plot is tightly crafted and its characters are realistic and, in many cases, strongly sympathetic.

“Nozomi didn’t take up the position of protecting the town”

I’m not sure what her role’s going to be, but isn’t she a great character? I loved how she and Souya interacted in this episode.

Glad to see you’re enjoying the series, too!

3. Amagi says:

It’s one of my favorites as well. I don’t expect much of the anime community though considering the most popular show is hero academia, which gets so many threads I am about to consider taking a break from certain anime related plattforms. Well it’s the main reason why I always loved Psgels in the first place. It’s often the only place where you can read something about less popular but good series.

It’s just a bit depressing, I mean Madoka and Revue Starlight are both about unexpected events as well and pretty good too, but it’s kinda sad that the same thing won’t work on series like these. I fear that Planet With was mainly baiting shounen fans with its first episode and this isn’t really the demographic that is known for loving fast pacing or subversions of tropes.

• Tayo Jones says:

They need to broaden their horizons. I did not think I would enjoy Dragon maid or land of the lustrous, but the more I watched them, the more I started to enjoy them.

Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?
The more we approach xmas time the more it rains in my city. Like every year.
Didn't know that guess I try this someday I love this setting.
The most recent thing I've watched dealing with a created/artificial/virtual world was an old German mini series called World on a wire by Rainer Fassbinder.
Wonder about the consequences these last scenes in Gridman will have.
@Mario: I finally got around to Aki Kaurasamaki's films, watched I hired a contract killer, I like dry, sad bastard black humour like that and even when it wasn't being amusing I enjoyed the whole quirky tone throughout it.
I decided to watch season 2 of sound euphonium before getting to liz and the bluebird. I would like to see more of this. I guess I liked Asuka's arc.
I think bloom into you has stood out in how its dealt with Nanami's insecurities and backstory, found myself liking that one side character Sayaka more. There will be an arc where they do some kind of play which compliments/links in well with nanami's character.
Animosh
But yeah, I agree the series has great character writing. In hindsight, it's kind of a shame you picked Irozuku over Bloom into You. It had a great premiere and some stunning scenes, but the characters are so incredibly droll that there's just not much to write about. They're both slow burns, but Bloom into You gives you much more to think about.
Animosh
So I think the crossing the line thing is ambiguous between your interpretation and Yuu's subconscious fear that if she initiates things, displays her affection towards Nanami (and a passionate kiss that Yuu initiates certainly seems to qualify), then that will be the end of things. Actually, it's probably a bit of both.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think Yuu is also aware that Nanami does not want Yuu to fall in love with her (I mean, it's hard not to after that death stare). And as a result she can never initiate things, because showing affection would undermine the whole reason Nanami fell in love with her. And Yuu obviously does not want this relationship to end.
Did uh that really happen in BF? Probably not, but dang if that really was the case then stuff got real
@Animosh: the thing is Yuu takes the special attraction from Nanami for granted, and her mode is that she “doesn’t hate” it. She doesn’t hate it when she spends time alone with Nanami, she doesn’t hate it when they kiss. So for Yuu, when Nanami askes her to actively do it, it’a the first time Yuu feels like she’s crossing the line. Some really great character writing there
It boils down to a female-targeted version of those moe shows that I don't care about all that much. Just replace the cute girls with hot boys.
Compared to Katsugeki, where it tried to sell the series as something more than just a mobile adaptation and tried to court non-fans, here I got exactly what I expected; something safe and predictable, and catering exclusively to fans. So I got nothing out of it.
Is there some sort of moe equivalent for male characters? Because this show probably counts as one. otoh, my feelings towards it are like most CGDCT anime: indifference.
I think the oddest thing I did regarding anime this year was how I sat through both season of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (including the one that aired earlier this winter), and didn't claw my eyes out when it's basically an unfortunate mix of a mobile game adaptation and a CBDCT show mixed in with some action segments to show that it's not just a pure estrogen-fest.
Animosh
I should also note that I don't relate to her in every way. I understand her difficulties with falling in love, but for me the problem is more that my view on love is too negative, and as a result I'm hesitant about taking the "leap of faith" that any relationship requires. Love is messy, and may well get you hurt, so it's easier to observe things from a distance, like Maki for example.
Animosh
Oh Yuu is definitely frustrating to watch. Her idealized conception of love prevents her from seeing what is obvious to everyone watching: that she's slowly developing feelings for Touko. And when those feelings evidently turn into love, instead of seeing them for what they are, she's in denial and insists that her feelings aren't special enough to be called "love". It's frustrating.
Then again, I can't really say why Bloom into You works for me now, but kept me in a distance in their first few episodes. It's slow-burn, and when you think back to it, not a lot has been happening. But I feel they haven't made any wrong step yet
Can't say I relate to Yuu thou. She's the kind of character that in real life I would find really frustrated, and I know many of my friends behave that way. That just to further demonstrates how real these characters can be. Even the side characters, Sayaka and the lesbian adult couple work well for me.
@Aminosh: it took awhile for me to fully embrace Bloom into You (I say about episode 5,6) but I agree it's getting very solid now. it reminds me of Scums Wish as well, mainly because how twisted romance can be
Animosh
I'm also worried it won't end in a satisfying way, since the manga is still ongoing. But otherwise I quite like it. It has its problems, but if you go into it with the right expectations (slow pacing, complex and flawed characters that make for an unusual love story, with more focus on the characters' psychological issues than their sexuality) there's a lot to enjoy.
Animosh
My only major complaint is that its characters can feel rather artificial sometimes. Touko in particular is a victim of this. She's such a weird bundle of complexes that she can be hard to relate to. Maybe it'll be better explained later on, but the whole idea of falling in love with another person because you think she'll be incapable of reciprocating it ... it's weird.
Animosh
I particularly like Yuu. I can empathize with her difficulties with falling in love, and I like her arc of slowly "blooming into" liking another person. It feels natural and earned. And like in SSSS.Gridman, the direction is surprisingly strong, and as a result it mostly nails its key moments (the river confrontation, the shed starting shot, etc).
Animosh
I finally caught up with Bloom into You, and it really surpassed my expectations. It kind of reminds me of Scum's Wish, with how flawed its characters are, and how selfish and unreasonable they can be. But like in Scum's Wish, instead of condemning the characters for their flaws, we're given the background to understand them, and they're not used for forced melodrama but sympathetically explored.
@Amagi: Are the Tezuka Buddha movies really that bad? I'll probably try the manga soon.
Also, it'd be cool if we could get long ova adaptations again.
I'd be happy to get more anime set outside of Japan. I also wouldn't mind seeing some anime based off western material.
Gotta say, I wasnt expecting that from Banana Fish this week. I hope its not a fake out, because if it isnt this ending could be great. I love sad endings
Bunny-girl made me watch a horrible idol segment. Then I forgave it because the end of the episode was well executed melodrama.
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Sash
Animosh
But regardless of how things turn out, it was definitely a powerful moment, and I'm really happy things are finally heating up again. Looks like the demon/leopard/whatever will be unleashed next episode.
Animosh
Welp, I guess something really did happen this week in Banana Fish. I kind of expect it to be a fake-out though. Chii mentioned there will be an epilogue, and it'd be strange to do so without our main couple intact. We haven't really gotten a confirmation of how Ash and Eiji see their relationship either. So I don't think the ship (or rather, one of its passengers) has sunk just yet.
Well, one of them is essentially the first two episodes of the show as one long episode. So i would say that makes sense.
After all, I don't think they know anything about the series until I show them these. They already know that I bought the novels though.
Meanwhile, I'm planning on showing my family, the two LoGH films, My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War during our Christmas vacation. Is this a good jumping on point?
Come on torrent, 90% done, then you decide to slow down. This is conspiracy I say.
Same here
Thanks, will download it when I get home.
@Mario: Early sub for 720p version of liz and bluebird is on nyaatorrents, they say they are doing a 1080p version tomorrow.
It’s Christmas season soon so I hope I can watch some older gems during that period
I, on the other hand, decide to get off my movie marathon for now to spend time WATCHING MORE ANIME.
I've had that issue on other blogs, getting the moderation awaiting message, I got it here in the past too.
Woah, I will read that story soon when I have free time. Thanks
Lemme fix this, Amagi
I have given up on a bunch of anime now I rather enjoy the few I really like to the fullest and use the rest of my free time to play games and read VNs.
"Your comment is awaiting moderation" guess I posted too many links, he. Well thinking about it I could have just posted this in the shoutbox, it's no spoiler or anything.
I quite liked it. I like that it wasnt a one off thing either, but it showed them working at it. I enjoy how when Kurahara chooses to do something, he commits 100% to it. Its fitting for his character
A lesser series would have drawn out the drama with Haiji. The scenes with kakeru reading manga with Prince also further support what the anon was saying about him warming up to Prince.
I cant wait to watch it.
And yeah, the cliffhanger from last wasn't a big deal since Haiji fainted from overworking himself and needs to rest.
That part where he chose to slow down in order to cheer on Prince and Ouji was a great scene in particular. He's starting to care about others now.
Man, Prince has come a long way from his slow, awkward running at the start. And it looks like Kakeru is improving in terms of building his relationships with his teammates.
awesome! Under the Silver Lake is out as well in case you want to watch it, Kaiser
Yo AwesomeMario , the bluray for Liz and the bluebird (the sound euphonium spinoff thing) is out, will probably be subtitled someday soon.
Compartively dogs DESPISE me.
Y'know...yeah, old kids stuff was kinda messed up and animal deaths were a big thing, Mufasa, bambi's mother aswell.
Cats are weird
We have two cats for two certain metro stations in my city. They belong to people living nearby but love the station so damn much you almost always see them sitting on the benches made for humans waiting for the subway/train. Two days ago I returned in the middle of the night and that one cat was still sitting there enjoying life. The other cat belongs to the station in front of my house.
Depressingly we also have that Lion king remake too.
Though I think plague dogs film adaptation stopped just before the full ending of the book?
Lol there are actually people out there who believe that only straight men have aspergers syndrome.
I can't actually leave a cat alone when I see it, actually snuck up on one to pick it up. Couldn't help myself.
Oh, heh, hey didn't know it shared the same author, makes alot of sense though.
Yeah Plague Dogs is by the same author that did Watership. It was great. It's interesting to see how quickly series can become edgy and therefore bad on the one hand and how many grim dark movies or series exist that are damn good on the other hand. A wrong turn and your serious drama or thriller can turn into trash.
Funny because I was also always a rabbit owner and now have a shitty cat (and yes I am actually autistic though although I guess I write pretty normal nowadays)
Oh Jesus...there was another old one wasn't there, the one about the dogs? Plague dogs, another example of a famliy/kids animation that pulled no punches.
I enjoy alternate history/dystopia stuff, There was It happened here, a British film about a what if situation where Hitler won.
I don't think I was able to get away with missing the subtext of watership down though when I was younger, my parents made sure I understood it at that young age.
I also liked how watership never really came off as being edgy in an detrimental way.
I'm convinced there is some connection between cats and rabbits in relation to autistic people, both creatures appear to love me.
@Amagi: And thats something I'm extremely picky on, mixing cuteness and darkness together but Waterships art got that right.
Although it does try to go into darker material later on. It just tries to do what it can with a TV-Y7 rating and manages to succeed despite not being as violent or scary as the film.
I like how Watership Down was basically the first popular cartoon with that dark moe trope if you count the rabbits as cute for being actual fluffy rabbits
da,,it the cat won't leave the keyboard
love 1984 too. genrally all of these political dystopias or however youcalltheseä#+
It could be worse. It could be the sanitized kids version that aired in the late 90s.
And because the rabbits look organic in the 70s one, its more scary.
Watership was particularly harrowing though because it was rabbits and I was young and I was predisposed to rabbits=fluffy cute things.
*Ahem* kind of commied out there for a second. I'm actually more of an Allende-ist.
1984is still a good story too.
But he agreed that animal farm was good, despite being written by a trotsykite.
My father hated him despite my dad being a Marxist.
Actually that was more of a stab toward Orwell I was making.
As it stands, I don't dislike animal farm despite being a Marxist .
I also remember a cartoon called animals of farthing wood also being very bleak for a kids show.
I mean there are positive aspects of remakes and 2h movies. They could add more stuff from the book for once. But on the other hand there are these fears and I must say that I am not fond of this CG. The drawn rabbits were just way more expressive than those of the new trailer.
Taking away these aspects will turn such movies to useless teen entertainment.
I hope they won't water down the political part of Watership too. All these allusions to Hitler and the NS regime were things I could only appreciate years later when I actually had some lowkey knowledge of history. Same thing with Stalinism and Animal Farm.
It was always the Bright eyes song bit that sticks out in my head. I also remember secret of the nymph.
Same here. Children aren't as stupid as adults believe them to be. Most of the series aimed at children I saw as a kid were downright insulting.
I remember being very effected by it when I was younger. And admiring it for not talking down to children.
What the hell man. Watership was the first thing I ever was a fan of when I was ~4. I still consider it as one of the best cartoons I've ever seen including having the best atmosphere. I mean many series want to be dark, but gore alone doesn't help, it's the landscapes, the music, movement, shadows and so on, this movie was perfect in that regard.

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru – 10 [Our Speed]

Welcome one and all, to the most wholesome episode of Kaze Fui yet. This week Prince and Kurahara finally connect, Hana cooks dinner and a track meet comes to a curious end. Lets jump in! Kaze Fui continues strong this week, not content to sit back and simply milk Haiji’s condition. No, instead of spending […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 9 [A Book about Life, Death, and Rebirth]

Hello and welcome to perhaps the best week of Honda-San yet. This time we get one long skit, clever writing and well mixed in education. All in a 10 minute package! Lets jump in. To me, this was the best episode of Honda-San since the first. The gags were clever and the single topic allowed […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 10 [Demonic Swords/Holy Swords]

This week, Thunderbolt takes a left turn to resolve side conflicts, or even new minor conflicts it thought of, mostly to boost up the status of our main cast. It’s still enjoyable, in an admittedly predictable way. We have a guy literally flirting with his sword, a yaoi love where a guy willing to put […]

Zombieland Saga – 07-09[But It’s Zombiemental SAGA/Go Go Neverland SAGA/Though My Life May Have Ended Once by Some Twist of Fate I Have Risen, and If Song and Dance Are to Be My Fate, Then Carrying the Memories of My Comrades in My Heart as I Sally Forth Shall Be My SAGA]

Zombieland Saga is a confusing show to me. It’s been on a decline since episode 3 which it chucked out it’s rather unpredictable but beautifully chaotic nature for what seems to be a formula closer and more sincere of an idol show. It’s jumping between modes wherein the show can be wacky and surreal yet […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 09 [Wandering Words]

Another episode, and my disappointment keeps raising up. Irozuku has come to the point where it has to creates its own conflict (all these romance drama), but it’s the development that we already tracked down back in episode 2, and it does a poor job of convincing us to care about these characters. This is […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]