Posted by Lenlo on 1 December 2018 with categories: Banana Fish, Currently Watching:

Hello and welcome to Banana Fish! Apologies for missing last week, but the call of Thanksgiving Turkey could not be denied. This time Eiji fires a gun, Max gets groped, and Ash gets captured. Again. Lets jump in!

To start off, I have to mention it, the elephant in the room, the pacing. My god was the pacing fast. Early on in the series, this was a plus. It never felt like nothing was happening. But the pacing has only increased since then, as we burn through more and more volumes. Episode 20 alone we went from Ballroom Infiltration, to Sewer Chase, to Museum Fight, to prepping a new villain. At the least this should have been split into 2 episodes, so the leads could have time to cooldown between these set pieces. For me, this really hurt these two episodes. Banana Fish was jumping from cut to cut, scene to scene, without any artistry put into it. The tone broke down because of this and became a jumbled mess. Fast is good Banana Fish, but only if you stay in control. And in control, it was not.

Take for instance Ash these last two episodes. Banana Fish wants to make us care for him. To fear for his or Eiji’s safety. To make his escape a harrowing thing. Yet in the very same episode Ash not only shoots someone between the eyes while blind, but rips shackles out of a wall after being starved for a month. Banana Fish is ridiculously inconsistent on Ash’s physical state in this episode. We have no idea what he will be able to do in any given scene. You know what other character comes to mind while I write this? Kirito from SAO. I would still say Ash is better, if only because of his emotional and psychological weaknesses and a backstory that somewhat justifies his skill set. But fact is, Ash is an unstoppable force of nature. Even fighting Blanca, a character he was paralyzed in fear of previously.

Speaking of Blanca, I want to side-track for a second and talk about the Museum scene. For me, this was the best part of Banana Fish these two weeks. It was a prepared battlefield, with a stylish visual style and interesting location. The minute we got was great. The worst part of it was how short the whole segment was. Another casualty of Banana Fish’s increasing pacing. So much more could have been done with this segment. More locations in the museum, more of the combat. Just look at the picture above, is that not a beautiful shot? Who wouldn’t want more of that? The other aspect of the Museum that fell flat for me was the ending hostage scene. Ash was supposedly terrified of Blanca a few episodes ago. Yet here we see him forcing hostage deals and throwing knives at him. What changed in a single episode?

Yet, for all of Ash’s prowess and new found ability to stand up against Blanca, the ending is the same. Ash manages to escape and then get captured in a single episode length. Again. I swear, Banana Fish jumps between Ash or Eiji being captured and then set free every 2 episodes. It’s like an instrument with 2 notes, being played over and over again. Learn a new chord Banana Fish! Stop flip-flopping on their status! Is Ash a competent threat to Dino and Yut, someone who could legitimately take them down? Or is he a 17 year old kid up against the combined might of the largest mafia in the world? Combine this with the constant jump in tone as Banana Fish tries to shove as much character development as it can between imprisonment, and you have a recipe for a disappointing few episodes.

Speaking of imprisonment, let’s talk about Foxx. Why? Why Banana Fish? Did we not already have a threatening, military specialist mercenary assassin that could beat Ash in our cast? Introducing another new character, with only 3 episodes left, for no doubt another new arc is idiotic. There is no way Foxx will have any meaningful impact on the story with this little time left. Not when Blanca could have filled the exact same role. What does Foxx add in this, the 11th hour of the story? Had Banana Fish more time, then this maybe could have worked. We could have explored Foxx’s character more. As it is, there is no way he will be around long enough for us to get to know or care about him as a character. He is just another random villain like the Senator or General, whom we will forget next season.

So with all that said, it should be obvious, but this better be the last arc coming up. There is just no room for anything else. Supposedly there are only 2 volumes left in the series, but 2 volumes in 3 episodes is still a fast pace. It has also been reported that the finale is going to be an hour long special, which may be just enough to save the series. Giving Banana Fish a slight more breathing room with this final story. But the question becomes, is it to little to late? To me, Banana Fish clearly should have been split into 2 seasons. End Season 1 on the Arthur confrontation and Ash getting captured. Then pick up the 2nd season from there. Plenty of time, easier pacing, and a break from constantly being captured and set free. A true shame.

Another shame is how little time we got to spend with competent Eiji. We went from him pulling the trigger and shooting at Dino to once again sitting in the back line real fast. I enjoyed seeing Eiji do something. Hesitant about shooting, then doing so the moment Ash was in danger. Talking his way through the ballroom, avoiding Blanca. Being the distraction himself while Ash was weak, ignoring that he recovered 2 minutes later. I loved it, his progress as a character was going great. But because the pacing of the show demanded it, Eiji immediately fell back into the role he has had the other 19 episodes. He isn’t the only character to suffer either. Ash’s mental health fluctuated with his previously mentioned physical as well. One minute he is waxing poetic about always being paranoid and never resting, the next he is screaming about an ambush. Why?

The only thing I can really say about these two episodes of Banana Fish that without a doubt worked, was the comedy. Max’s wife, that whole segment in the gay bar? I chuckled. No doubt part of it was that it was such a sudden tone switch, I had mental whiplash for a moment. But still, I enjoyed seeing Max again and seeing his goofy mug lightening up the episode. I don’t see any point in his wife reappearing this late in the series, but she isn’t a bad character per se. So I will accept it. But the fact that the best I can say about the episodes is that one aspect wasn’t terrible? After all the praise I had for it early on? Well it goes to show how disappointed I am in Banana Fish.

So with all of that, my opinion on the 2 episodes should be rather clear. I wanted more. I expected more, after everything leading up to it. It could close out well, maybe these can be chalked up to unfortunate adaptation issues. But I am not hopeful. What about you though? Those who have read the manga, is the ending strong? Will I be pleasantly surprised? Or should I start preparing a eulogy for what Banana Fish the anime could have been?

Let me know down below, and I will see you next week.

1. Chii says:

I feel like because of the pacing, the anime made Ash seem more OP than he actually was. The anime didn’t have the time to explicitly mention that Ash wasn’t completely blind, that he only had pupils dilated. It tried to compensate with shot that showed the very blurry world through Ash’s eyes but it’s incredibly easy to miss. I still find it ridiculous that he could shoot accurately with that handicap but not to the degree in which the anime leads on. I also found it hard to feel Ash’s desperation in the anime. The only reason he was able to do all the crazy things he did in this episode was because he was so desperate to get Eiji to safety.

I actually never felt Ash was terrified of Blanca, more that he was terrified at the idea of Blanca killing Eiji. So when Blanca tells Ash that he signed a contract with Yut Lung, Ash makes an educated assumption that Blanca is no longer tasked with killing Eiji and that gives him the strength to oppose his former mentor.

I really lament the current pacing, we lost more than just a couple good character moments. But at the same time, I’m glad the action sequences were burned through. Around this point, the manga got so action heavy that it dragged in my opinion. Plus, action in Banana Fish is mostly for fun so it’s not really necessary.

I think you pose interesting questions in relation to the constant captures and escapes. To answer them, I think Ash is both. He is highly competent, but at the same time, the Mafia and the world are not only powerful, but unforgiving and he is a boy that has too many bonds that can be exploited. It would have been easier for Ash to find victory if he didn’t have these connections, but their existence, while constantly exploited, are what makes life worth living.

No mention of Max burning Ash’s photos? While the pacing did blunt the emotional impact, it was still a powerful moment in my opinion. Ash didn’t see himself as a human with human rights to privacy. But Max acknowledges Ash’s humanity and finally recognizes how much Ash’s past still hurts him (before he was cracking jokes at Ash’s expense). I especially like the ambiguity in the anime. When Ash says “I’m already a dead man,” it can mean either that he feels emotionally dead inside or that he is legally dead. Regardless of which it is (and it can even be both), he feels that he cannot be shamed.

Your thoughts are exactly how I feel about Foxx’s inclusion in the manga. I feel there was some other way to get to the ending without introducing another character and arc especially since out of all the villains in the series, Foxx is probably the most deplorable of the bunch. I think people’s hatred for his character even eclipses Golzine’s and as a result, I don’t find Foxx a particularly well-written villain. However, he does get the job done and sadly, as much as everyone hoped that Foxx’s arc would get cut (or at least his character), this is the last arc and it brings us to the finish line.

I know I mentioned in the chat that we had two volumes left but I wasn’t counting the epilogue in that (which makes up most of the last volume) and since Banana Fish got confirmed for a double length final episode yesterday, I’m now fairly certain we’re getting the epilogue adapted. So we actually have about three volumes left and about four episodes. One volume is mostly action and the last volume is shorter than normal so I’m hopeful that the pacing will be better from now on.

The ending is polarizing to say the least. I won’t say much more because I don’t want to sway expectations before it airs, but I will say this: I personally think it’s unforgettable. I’ll write more about the ending when it actually comes around because oh man is there a lot to think and talk about.

2. Lenlo says:

For the first one, that is a good point. If he wasn’t completely blind it would be more excusable. As is though, the guy couldn’t see anything, and he accurately shot someone between the eyes while blind. Its crazy.

For Blanca, that is maybe a better way to interpret it. I figured that Blanca never mentioned what the contract was, and knowing Yut’s hatred of Eiji, he would assume it was to kill Eiji. Either way though, there was a clear… assumption Ash had that he couldn’t beat Blanca. And he doesn’t seem to have that anymore.

In regards to the capture and escape, I think the pacing hurts it here. The idea of making the mafia and underground more powerful than a 17 year old is a good one. It makes sense and needs to happen. But I feel it did that early on with the killing of Shorter. With the introduction of Blanca. It showed there are bigger, badder people out there. The pacing in these recent episodes though makes it seem more like Ash and Co’s mistakes screwing them than the mafia and underground.

For the photo’s, I knew I forgot something. I had an image and everything, but when doing 2 episodes of catchup, something had to slip. I did like the photo scene. I thought it worked. I like Max continuing to be the Dad Ash never truly had. Its probably my favorite relationship after Ash and Eiji. I didn’t see anything wrong with it, I thought the scene did a good job, and with everythign else that happened I felt I had to get the criticisms out of the way. Especially with how much I praised it early on.

I dont know whats in the epilogue, but I am hoping for an OVA with Ash meeting Shorter.

Thanks for the heads up with the ending though! At the very least I am looking forward to that. For me, with story-rich anime like Banana Fish, the ending can Save or Break a series. If the ending is good, I could easily forgive all these pacing issues, just because without them we never would have made it through all the volumes.

P.S. Glad I am not alone with Foxx.

• Chii says:

In my head, I felt it meant that Blanca got a different task, mainly because I feel there’s no point in Blanca telling Ash that he signed a contract with Yut Lung if it was on the same terms. I think the danger looming over Eiji made Ash very emotionally vulnerable. Probably because in Ash’s mind, if he even tried to fight back, the blame for Eiji’s *probable* death would undoubtedly fall on him acting. Meanwhile, the situation in this episode is slightly different; fighting Blanca is a way to keep Eiji safe as opposed to being the only cause of Eiji’s endangerment.

I see where you’re coming from. To be fair though, I think Ash’s mentality through the story kinda mimic your thoughts. Ash blames the people in the Mafia for Skip and Griffin’s deaths. Shorter’s death is probably a mixture. On one hand, it was due to the power of the Mafia, mainly the Chinese Mafia, but on the other hand, Ash didn’t catch the warning signs and he probably blames himself for it. Thus, from that event forward, I think Ash begins to see himself to blame for lots of things. I think there’s a lot that can be said on the idea of consequence in this show and specifically how it relates to self-esteem. Ash is a victim of circumstance (or of those who have power) in many cases, however, there are times where I think his choices define what happens to him. It’s a very complicated subject matter and I’m still sorting out my own thoughts on what Banana Fish is trying to say on it, but regardless, we haven’t reached the point where this theme fully takes form so I’ll just leave it as a point to ponder.

No hard feelings about that. Even if I have my gripes with the anime version, I had to point it out since the photos scene is my favorite scene in these past two episodes (especially so since the anime cut my other favorite scene).

A drama CD containing the story of Ash and Shorter’s meeting was packaged with the first DVD/BD Banana Fish bundle. We might get an OVA of Ash and Blanca’s meeting, however.

Well, guess we’ll see how things go in a few weeks! Regardless, I look forward to reading your thoughts on it.

• Lenlo says:

That makes sense for Blanca. Its a loaded scene, so lots of ways to interpret it. I think had it not been as rushed, either way could have worked. But Banana Fish burned through the scene, so it felt awkward.

For Max, its a great scene. It and our talk about Blanca actually made me wish for some interaction between the two. A sort of loving father figure (Max) and the one who taught him everything he knows (Blanca). It would be an interesting juxtaposition between the two I think, since they both sorta fulfill the same role in Ash’s life in different ways.

Like Blanca clearly cares about Ash, and wants whats best for him. But his version of “whats best” is to serve Dino and live a cushy life, never having to really go against the grain. Sure its dirty work, but hey, its comfortable. Meanwhile Max wants what is emotionally best for Ash, he just wants Ash to be happy with Eiji. Thats it. No expectations, no nothing, as seen when he just handed over all their hard work like 2 episodes ago.

• Chii says:

Agreed on all fronts. I think Blanca’s approach can be summed up as wanting Ash to survive. While Max wants Ash to live. There is a clear contrast between their ideologies, something akin to pragmatism versus idealism.

3. I decided to post my thoughts on this weeks episode here, rather than take up space on the chatbox:

Banana fish’s 22 episode has made up for the mediocre previous two, bring it not only back on form but also returning to the emotional involvement that made the bits with Shorter in the mansion arc so strong.
    The scene with Eiji embracing Ash (which was quite moving), which had no music, along with a later scene feature Jessica were the standout ones for me this week and the prior scene I mentions is complimented well by the episodes ending.
    They changed the dialogue in Jessica’s scene, what Ash says is less explicit.
    I do wish they had lingered more on these moments though.
    Pay close attention to Lao in this episode.
    Hope you enjoy this episode as much as I did.
    I want to see Dino get his comeuppance.

• Also regarding episode 21, honestly I found the club scenes kind of cringey. I don’t really care about the comedy moments in the show.

• Lenlo says:

I dont want to spoil the writeup, but suffice to say, I did enjoy episode 22 quite a bit. And yeah, the club scenes were meh, though some comedy is nice. Its a bit late into the story for some of it though

Also being immortal would meant that I finally had enough time to finish all the games and series I am interested in.
@Kaiser: the hate against immortality is overrated, I would totally be okay with observing history for centuries.
@Kaiser: yeah, it’s supposed to be the final one that closes the whole franchise
Theres going to be another euphonium movie next year.
I say sit back and just let it wash over you if you get on board with its slow rhythm.
The soundtrack is pretty understated aswell.
Also quite naturalistic in how it uses/animates movements/body language.
I do wish that it went further than baiting the audience though.
*is in
I watched liz and the bluebird, the storybook segements give the film a certain magical feel to it, even if they feel obvious and on the nose, what this film achieves if in its silent, quiet and visual exposition rather than spoken words, its also more sensitive and low key than Euphonium.
Gah, one of the gutting things about being into historical stuff or stuff about things that happened decades ago, is that I'll never be a direct witness to it as it happened. It'll never hit me as someone who lived through it. I having all the fun second hand.
Thanks, Amagi. They look pretty cool
Why would I waste my time watching other people shopping or working. Not to mention that the scripted part turns everything worse than it usually is by shoving in terrible cringy moments everywhere to.. don't know. Entertain(?) the audience or something.
I mean unless you want info dumps you watch fiction and you watch that because it makes you indirectly experience adventures you can't have in real life. Even when fiction is down to earth it's usually about special situations like the MC becoming a professional runner like in Kaze ga or something.
@Kaiser: Me neither, especially because it seems to be the exact opposite of the reason why people consume media, and therefore fiction, in the first place.
They probably used these in Irozuko because they look like're part of some J-RPG town.
@Amagi: I never really understood why reality television ever became a thing or how someone could give it any form of attention.
Seems like they even have a wikipedia entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trullo
@SuperMario: It's some specific type of house that only exist in Apulia. https://cdn.getyourguide.com/img/tour_img-437617-146.jpg - the whole historic disctrict looks like that
I shouldn't use so many brackets.
Trulli? What does that mean?
We have all kinds of international film festivals here. I watched Roma in the Latin Film Festival. Yeah that aspect I mus say that I feel lucky
There are Trulli in one scene of this week's Irozuko (after they entered that painting), how funny. I just visited this city (Alberobello) last month.
@Mario: You are lucky, Roma gets a one day limited release here for one time.
@Aidan: Just imagine going to the west of Ireland and asking them about the internet.
Yes there are people turning up to the one art cinema we actually have. But Ireland is not a good place to be in general if you are a film/anime/gaming fan.
lol this country is incapable of giving a proper wide/long cinema release to anything that might even be considered slight non-mainstream.
*week-long
Well, we have a week-log screening here and I already lament how undeserving these films have. Guess I should be more appreciate now I know that other countries have 1-day screening only
I wonder if anyone started out in the light novel industry as a stepping stone before moving on to real book writing. I also wonder how easy it is to get published.
Progressive is good from what I heard since he went back to his older material from a more mature outlook. Ordinal Scale is decent too coming from the same matured Kawahara.
Sometimes there are re-showings, some cinemas will play Akira for the billionth time for example.
I imagine seeing scenes like that being recorded in the recording booth would look quite strange.
Apparently, he even apologized to the voice actress for being subjected to voice a rape scene, so I guess even he has deep regrets about it. The LN doesn't have any more moments like this so I guess he matured a lot.
@Anon: The problem is that he was still a teen when he wrote Alicization, he just edited it a bit later. But I also wish he would have cut this scene, it's always so forced and feels so stupid.
Pancreas has no subs yet AFAIK
Ugh, ep10 of Alicinization reminded me why I disliked SAO so much years ago. I assume Kawahara still had some nasty tendencies in him when writing Alicinization despite being past his edgy teenage phase.
@Kaiser: It's the same here too. One day screenings and that's it. I also believe that anime are made for everyone it's just that the West (save for France and Italy maybe) doesn't give anime a chance. They are sure people would never care so they rather die or air the same awful scripted reality show for the 5th time rather than try showing anime that could appeal to adults like Monster.
The anon might want to watch that though, a torrent of it recently got uploaded.
Also Let me eat your pancreas wasn't shown here. But it was shown in Australia.
Although there are some films that America gets that we don't, the Heavens feel, the Madoka movies and Nanoha reflection showed in America but not here.
@SuperMario: That would be great.
Anime films seem to appeal to normies aswell.
I saw an older woman in my screening of Maquia and talked to her after it and she liked it.
Again, I don't know about elsewhere, but what surprised me was the amount of people who are seeing these in the audience who don't actually come off as anime fans and probably aren't.
But I'm genuinely surprised that my country would actually even go that far to even show them.
I don't know about all the other countries that get showings for these anime films, but here its a one day only thing each time one comes out.
Reviewig anime movies/ making posts about them might be something I can do in the future
@amagi: anime movies are somethingn I wanna raise more awareness as well. Normally each year there are 4,5 solid anime films out there, but like you said they’re hardly discussed
I've never heard of UFO no natsu.
I felt bad for the little girl in grave of the fireflies, the boy was already caught up though in "muhfascistempire is goat tier" for me to care about him as much as her.
The Air movie was more focused, better paced and visually directed with more panache than the show.
@Amagi: I have gone to almost every anime screening since the early 2000s and continue to.
And many have barely any sort of advertising so I only notice them coincidentally by seeing a thread on /a/ or because I see some screenshot somewhere.
Speaking of it there are so many great anime movies every year but nobody ever talks about them because the fans are split between those who see the screenings (that happen randomly depending on the country) and those who watch it a year later on their PC.
I also found Hotori sad but it's ages old and I never met anyone who cared about it besides myself. Also, Hanbun no Tsuki and UFO no natsu although these were 6 part ova. Colourful probably too and the Key movies. I actually like all these movies like Air or Clannad but I didn't like the series that much.
I think ultimately its the patience some of these sad films are made with that allows then to eventually land their effect.
SuperWooper
It takes a while to get to that point, though.
SuperWooper
"The Wind Rises" is pretty damn sad.
Well, Grave of Fireflies hands down. or Your Lie in April if you don't mind TV show
Then basically everything from Shinkai for example.
@Anon: You may need to let us now what type of drama you're into, are you okay with highly melodramatic stories?
if so anybody have any good sad anime movies?
anybody here?
The more we approach xmas time the more it rains in my city. Like every year.
Didn't know that guess I try this someday I love this setting.
The most recent thing I've watched dealing with a created/artificial/virtual world was an old German mini series called World on a wire by Rainer Fassbinder.
Wonder about the consequences these last scenes in Gridman will have.
@Mario: I finally got around to Aki Kaurasamaki's films, watched I hired a contract killer, I like dry, sad bastard black humour like that and even when it wasn't being amusing I enjoyed the whole quirky tone throughout it.
I decided to watch season 2 of sound euphonium before getting to liz and the bluebird. I would like to see more of this. I guess I liked Asuka's arc.
I think bloom into you has stood out in how its dealt with Nanami's insecurities and backstory, found myself liking that one side character Sayaka more. There will be an arc where they do some kind of play which compliments/links in well with nanami's character.
Animosh
But yeah, I agree the series has great character writing. In hindsight, it's kind of a shame you picked Irozuku over Bloom into You. It had a great premiere and some stunning scenes, but the characters are so incredibly droll that there's just not much to write about. They're both slow burns, but Bloom into You gives you much more to think about.
Animosh
So I think the crossing the line thing is ambiguous between your interpretation and Yuu's subconscious fear that if she initiates things, displays her affection towards Nanami (and a passionate kiss that Yuu initiates certainly seems to qualify), then that will be the end of things. Actually, it's probably a bit of both.
Animosh
@SuperMario: I think Yuu is also aware that Nanami does not want Yuu to fall in love with her (I mean, it's hard not to after that death stare). And as a result she can never initiate things, because showing affection would undermine the whole reason Nanami fell in love with her. And Yuu obviously does not want this relationship to end.
Did uh that really happen in BF? Probably not, but dang if that really was the case then stuff got real
@Animosh: the thing is Yuu takes the special attraction from Nanami for granted, and her mode is that she “doesn’t hate” it. She doesn’t hate it when she spends time alone with Nanami, she doesn’t hate it when they kiss. So for Yuu, when Nanami askes her to actively do it, it’a the first time Yuu feels like she’s crossing the line. Some really great character writing there
It boils down to a female-targeted version of those moe shows that I don't care about all that much. Just replace the cute girls with hot boys.
Compared to Katsugeki, where it tried to sell the series as something more than just a mobile adaptation and tried to court non-fans, here I got exactly what I expected; something safe and predictable, and catering exclusively to fans. So I got nothing out of it.
Is there some sort of moe equivalent for male characters? Because this show probably counts as one. otoh, my feelings towards it are like most CGDCT anime: indifference.
I think the oddest thing I did regarding anime this year was how I sat through both season of Touken Ranbu Hanamaru (including the one that aired earlier this winter), and didn't claw my eyes out when it's basically an unfortunate mix of a mobile game adaptation and a CBDCT show mixed in with some action segments to show that it's not just a pure estrogen-fest.
Animosh
I should also note that I don't relate to her in every way. I understand her difficulties with falling in love, but for me the problem is more that my view on love is too negative, and as a result I'm hesitant about taking the "leap of faith" that any relationship requires. Love is messy, and may well get you hurt, so it's easier to observe things from a distance, like Maki for example.
Animosh
Oh Yuu is definitely frustrating to watch. Her idealized conception of love prevents her from seeing what is obvious to everyone watching: that she's slowly developing feelings for Touko. And when those feelings evidently turn into love, instead of seeing them for what they are, she's in denial and insists that her feelings aren't special enough to be called "love". It's frustrating.
Then again, I can't really say why Bloom into You works for me now, but kept me in a distance in their first few episodes. It's slow-burn, and when you think back to it, not a lot has been happening. But I feel they haven't made any wrong step yet
Can't say I relate to Yuu thou. She's the kind of character that in real life I would find really frustrated, and I know many of my friends behave that way. That just to further demonstrates how real these characters can be. Even the side characters, Sayaka and the lesbian adult couple work well for me.
@Aminosh: it took awhile for me to fully embrace Bloom into You (I say about episode 5,6) but I agree it's getting very solid now. it reminds me of Scums Wish as well, mainly because how twisted romance can be
Animosh
I'm also worried it won't end in a satisfying way, since the manga is still ongoing. But otherwise I quite like it. It has its problems, but if you go into it with the right expectations (slow pacing, complex and flawed characters that make for an unusual love story, with more focus on the characters' psychological issues than their sexuality) there's a lot to enjoy.
Animosh
My only major complaint is that its characters can feel rather artificial sometimes. Touko in particular is a victim of this. She's such a weird bundle of complexes that she can be hard to relate to. Maybe it'll be better explained later on, but the whole idea of falling in love with another person because you think she'll be incapable of reciprocating it ... it's weird.
Animosh
I particularly like Yuu. I can empathize with her difficulties with falling in love, and I like her arc of slowly "blooming into" liking another person. It feels natural and earned. And like in SSSS.Gridman, the direction is surprisingly strong, and as a result it mostly nails its key moments (the river confrontation, the shed starting shot, etc).
Animosh
I finally caught up with Bloom into You, and it really surpassed my expectations. It kind of reminds me of Scum's Wish, with how flawed its characters are, and how selfish and unreasonable they can be. But like in Scum's Wish, instead of condemning the characters for their flaws, we're given the background to understand them, and they're not used for forced melodrama but sympathetically explored.
@Amagi: Are the Tezuka Buddha movies really that bad? I'll probably try the manga soon.
Also, it'd be cool if we could get long ova adaptations again.
I'd be happy to get more anime set outside of Japan. I also wouldn't mind seeing some anime based off western material.
Gotta say, I wasnt expecting that from Banana Fish this week. I hope its not a fake out, because if it isnt this ending could be great. I love sad endings
Bunny-girl made me watch a horrible idol segment. Then I forgave it because the end of the episode was well executed melodrama.
Sash
I just recently watched Made in Abyss.... and i cried real hard. I was worried that this story was going down the loli route at first... but how this show frightened me... and how it pulled at my heartstrings at the end.
Sash
Animosh
But regardless of how things turn out, it was definitely a powerful moment, and I'm really happy things are finally heating up again. Looks like the demon/leopard/whatever will be unleashed next episode.
Animosh
Welp, I guess something really did happen this week in Banana Fish. I kind of expect it to be a fake-out though. Chii mentioned there will be an epilogue, and it'd be strange to do so without our main couple intact. We haven't really gotten a confirmation of how Ash and Eiji see their relationship either. So I don't think the ship (or rather, one of its passengers) has sunk just yet.
Well, one of them is essentially the first two episodes of the show as one long episode. So i would say that makes sense.
After all, I don't think they know anything about the series until I show them these. They already know that I bought the novels though.
Meanwhile, I'm planning on showing my family, the two LoGH films, My Conquest is a Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War during our Christmas vacation. Is this a good jumping on point?
Come on torrent, 90% done, then you decide to slow down. This is conspiracy I say.
Same here
Thanks, will download it when I get home.
@Mario: Early sub for 720p version of liz and bluebird is on nyaatorrents, they say they are doing a 1080p version tomorrow.
It’s Christmas season soon so I hope I can watch some older gems during that period
I, on the other hand, decide to get off my movie marathon for now to spend time WATCHING MORE ANIME.
I've had that issue on other blogs, getting the moderation awaiting message, I got it here in the past too.
Woah, I will read that story soon when I have free time. Thanks
Lemme fix this, Amagi
I have given up on a bunch of anime now I rather enjoy the few I really like to the fullest and use the rest of my free time to play games and read VNs.
"Your comment is awaiting moderation" guess I posted too many links, he. Well thinking about it I could have just posted this in the shoutbox, it's no spoiler or anything.
I quite liked it. I like that it wasnt a one off thing either, but it showed them working at it. I enjoy how when Kurahara chooses to do something, he commits 100% to it. Its fitting for his character
A lesser series would have drawn out the drama with Haiji. The scenes with kakeru reading manga with Prince also further support what the anon was saying about him warming up to Prince.
I cant wait to watch it.
And yeah, the cliffhanger from last wasn't a big deal since Haiji fainted from overworking himself and needs to rest.
That part where he chose to slow down in order to cheer on Prince and Ouji was a great scene in particular. He's starting to care about others now.
Man, Prince has come a long way from his slow, awkward running at the start. And it looks like Kakeru is improving in terms of building his relationships with his teammates.
awesome! Under the Silver Lake is out as well in case you want to watch it, Kaiser
Yo AwesomeMario , the bluray for Liz and the bluebird (the sound euphonium spinoff thing) is out, will probably be subtitled someday soon.
Compartively dogs DESPISE me.
Y'know...yeah, old kids stuff was kinda messed up and animal deaths were a big thing, Mufasa, bambi's mother aswell.
Cats are weird
We have two cats for two certain metro stations in my city. They belong to people living nearby but love the station so damn much you almost always see them sitting on the benches made for humans waiting for the subway/train. Two days ago I returned in the middle of the night and that one cat was still sitting there enjoying life. The other cat belongs to the station in front of my house.
Depressingly we also have that Lion king remake too.
Though I think plague dogs film adaptation stopped just before the full ending of the book?
Lol there are actually people out there who believe that only straight men have aspergers syndrome.
I can't actually leave a cat alone when I see it, actually snuck up on one to pick it up. Couldn't help myself.
Oh, heh, hey didn't know it shared the same author, makes alot of sense though.
Yeah Plague Dogs is by the same author that did Watership. It was great. It's interesting to see how quickly series can become edgy and therefore bad on the one hand and how many grim dark movies or series exist that are damn good on the other hand. A wrong turn and your serious drama or thriller can turn into trash.
Funny because I was also always a rabbit owner and now have a shitty cat (and yes I am actually autistic though although I guess I write pretty normal nowadays)
Oh Jesus...there was another old one wasn't there, the one about the dogs? Plague dogs, another example of a famliy/kids animation that pulled no punches.
I enjoy alternate history/dystopia stuff, There was It happened here, a British film about a what if situation where Hitler won.
I don't think I was able to get away with missing the subtext of watership down though when I was younger, my parents made sure I understood it at that young age.
I also liked how watership never really came off as being edgy in an detrimental way.
I'm convinced there is some connection between cats and rabbits in relation to autistic people, both creatures appear to love me.
@Amagi: And thats something I'm extremely picky on, mixing cuteness and darkness together but Waterships art got that right.
Although it does try to go into darker material later on. It just tries to do what it can with a TV-Y7 rating and manages to succeed despite not being as violent or scary as the film.
I like how Watership Down was basically the first popular cartoon with that dark moe trope if you count the rabbits as cute for being actual fluffy rabbits
da,,it the cat won't leave the keyboard
love 1984 too. genrally all of these political dystopias or however youcalltheseä#+
It could be worse. It could be the sanitized kids version that aired in the late 90s.
And because the rabbits look organic in the 70s one, its more scary.
Watership was particularly harrowing though because it was rabbits and I was young and I was predisposed to rabbits=fluffy cute things.
*Ahem* kind of commied out there for a second. I'm actually more of an Allende-ist.
1984is still a good story too.
But he agreed that animal farm was good, despite being written by a trotsykite.
My father hated him despite my dad being a Marxist.

Banana Fish – 22 [As I Lay Dying]

Welcome to what is, to me, a very contentious episode of Banana Fish. This time Blanca gets sentimental, Ash learns Japanese, and Eiji sets Ash on a Warpath through no fault of his own. Let’s dive in! Overall, this was a good episode. It flipped everything on its head and, assuming Banana Fish doesn’t backpedal […]

Irozuku Sekai no Ashita kara – 10 [Monochromatic Crayon]

Irozuku, as meandering as it always is, has some stunning sequences this episode. It furthers proves the fact that 1) the magical sequence is where Irozuku really takes off and 2) its strength always come from its visual department, not in the storytelling. Take the sequence where Aoi steps into Hitomi’s dream, for example. He […]

SSSS.GRIDMAN – 10 [Collapse]

After a crucial episode last week where GRIDMAN reached its highest bar to date, it’s understandable that everything that follows it would be a letdown. Nothing in this new episode can beat the moment Akane jumped off the crane last week in terms of sketching her depression. This episode is where the entire cast goes […]

Planetes – 15 & 16 [In Her Case…/Ignition] – Throwback Thursday

Hello and welcome to perhaps the most intense week of Planetes yet. This time our Temp Worker gets some history and Hachimaki develops space PTSD. Let’s dive in! Off the bat, I want to apologize again for this being late. Work and doing 4 shows at once has slowed me down a bit. That said, […]

Goblin Slayer – 09[There and Back Again]

We reach the end of the water town arc and Goblin Slayer killed some goblins. I am not sure what else I expected. I must say that animation wise for a series heavily focused on action, the action itself is rather static. Sadly some of the more impactful panels of the manga were cut from […]

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteru – 10 [Our Speed]

Welcome one and all, to the most wholesome episode of Kaze Fui yet. This week Prince and Kurahara finally connect, Hana cooks dinner and a track meet comes to a curious end. Lets jump in! Kaze Fui continues strong this week, not content to sit back and simply milk Haiji’s condition. No, instead of spending […]

Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-San – 9 [A Book about Life, Death, and Rebirth]

Hello and welcome to perhaps the best week of Honda-San yet. This time we get one long skit, clever writing and well mixed in education. All in a 10 minute package! Lets jump in. To me, this was the best episode of Honda-San since the first. The gags were clever and the single topic allowed […]

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 – 10 [Demonic Swords/Holy Swords]

This week, Thunderbolt takes a left turn to resolve side conflicts, or even new minor conflicts it thought of, mostly to boost up the status of our main cast. It’s still enjoyable, in an admittedly predictable way. We have a guy literally flirting with his sword, a yaoi love where a guy willing to put […]

Zombieland Saga – 07-09[But It’s Zombiemental SAGA/Go Go Neverland SAGA/Though My Life May Have Ended Once by Some Twist of Fate I Have Risen, and If Song and Dance Are to Be My Fate, Then Carrying the Memories of My Comrades in My Heart as I Sally Forth Shall Be My SAGA]

Zombieland Saga is a confusing show to me. It’s been on a decline since episode 3 which it chucked out it’s rather unpredictable but beautifully chaotic nature for what seems to be a formula closer and more sincere of an idol show. It’s jumping between modes wherein the show can be wacky and surreal yet […]

Castlevania Season 2 Review – 72/100

According to much of the Western Anime community, this series wouldn’t be relevant for a site like this. Being made in the West by Americans, and English being its first language, many would disqualify it from the start. However I name them all fools for Castlevania, Directed by Sam Deats and Ryoichi Uchikoshi is clearly […]

Asobi Asobase (Summer 2018) Review – 83/100

In a year where comedy shows gain an unexpected strong showing, somehow a show about 3 cute girls and their pass-timer club emerges as one of the best comedy around. Yep, forget Hinamatsuri, forget Grand Blue, forget Chio-chan, Asobi Asobase delivers some hilarious absurdist laugh-out-loud moments for the ages. It helps that we were in […]

Planet With Anime Review – 90/100

Planet With is an anime that likely leaves many unimpressed when they look at the cover and makes for a solid proof that you cannot judge a book by it’s cover or even by it’s first episode. Many have overlooked this show in it’s season but for those that did give it chance it went […]

My Hero Academia: Two Heroes (Dubbed) Review – 84/100

Ah, the movie tie in. A right of passage for all aspiring Shounen series. Some, like One Piece have weathered it and come out Golden, while others are better forgotten (Looking at you Bleach). My Hero Academia: Two Heroes, in my opinion, is closer to former. Animated by BONES , Directed by Kenji Nagasaki and […]

A quick and dirty review of Angolmois: Record of the Mongol Invasion

What it claims to be about: Angolmois (a reference to a Nostradamus prophesy which is rather irrelevant for the show, as he lived several centuries after the events) focuses on the first Mongol Invasion of Japan in 1274. Specifically it focuses on the early phase of the invasion when the Mongols attack Tsushima, which essentially […]

Steins;Gate 0 Anime Review – 60/100

Before I begin this review in earnest, I have to ask, who doesn’t know about Steins;Gate? The amazing, beloved original series that Steins;Gate 0 is an offshoot of. Well if you don’t, if you haven’t seen the original, then stop now. Steins;Gate 0 is not worth it. It is not for you. Without having seen […]

Mirai (2018) Movie Review – 81/100

Watching Mirai, there are two observations that spring right up to my mind: Mirai is Hosoda’s most grounded, personal film and it plays out completely different from what I expected based from the promotional materials. My feeling is confirmed when I later learned that Hosoda based the concept from watching his own children’s react, and […]

Fate/Extra Last Encore Anime Review – 40/100

To many the Fate series is daunting with its numerous incarnations and spinoffs and here in the year of many a Fate adaption we get another one by Studio Shaft which was first thought to adapt the story of the PSP game Fate/Extra. Fate/Extra could basically be considered Fate with a sci-fi twist as this […]

Darling in the Franxx Anime Review – 57/100

In following anime seasons it can be quite an experience to follow a show as it airs as the hype and rollercoaster of reactions can be entertainment in its own right. In that regard Darling in the Franxx was a hell of a ride as week by week peoples feelings for it ran hot and […]